Sunday, February 16, 2003

Irony Alert

I wrote a comment in somebody's blog once about European irony, and if I can ever find it I'll post it, but in the meantime a case study is probably far more appropriate. Let's call this (à la Atrios) "The French Strike Back".

I apologize for being so ungrateful. It's just that I learned in school that France and Britain declared war on Nazi Germany in September 1939, while the United States was enacting isolationist laws, and that America entered the war two years later, only after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. But now I see that was just Gallic propaganda. How could I have believed it?

I now know what really happened: Franklin D. Roosevelt felt that a country with more than 300 kinds of cheese was worth liberating, and for the love of France he came to our rescue. Joseph Stalin came to the same conclusion, but -- fortunately for us -- he was slower and had to stop in Berlin.

Hee.

UPDATE: The Mighty Reason Man has an overwhelmingly good post on a related issue. Read it . . . now!