Saturday, September 13, 2003

'Everyone I know goes away in the end'

Suffice it to say, we here at Silentio are hoping tonight that good ol' J. R. Cash is giving heaven a bit of hell. He is, as I'm sure you know, or at least have been told a good three dozen times today, already missed. In an age in which artistic sincerity is only as important as it can either be commodified, Johnny Cash somehow achieved both -- he, the millionaire-mythic 'Man in Black'.

Having long been a fan, not to mention one who operates a sporadically-updated weblog, I think I'm qualified, or at the very least willing and able, to offer up a few things I've learned along the way:

(1) Black is, indeed, slimming; as is a copious amount of barbituates.

(2) I, too, would snowball Jackson for June Carter.

(3) Pushing one's brother onto a circular saw, in hopes of emulating the tragic inspiration for your brooding disposition, while hardcore, just isn't cool and definitely won't get you an autograph.

(4) One good turn definitely doesn't always deserve another.

And (5) how to win friends and influence people.

RIP, Johnny.