Thursday, October 02, 2003

A Pictorial Depiction of Me At Any Belgian ATM

I'm loathe to admit it, but sometimes Jean Baudrillard is not a hyperbolic blowhard. In his self-announced age of simulacra, which I'm not as against as this post's opening sentence would suggest, sometimes the world of advertising truly is the place to look to get the best bead on what we all-too-blithely call 'reality'. To illustrate, I direct your readerly attention to this Ananova headline: Ban on Russian ads depicting euro having sex with dollar. Having sex, perhaps, or in my case, when either standing at an ATM in western Europe, or balancing my US checking account online, it is using the dollar from behind, à la the Wolfman of Freud ("this man is a Jewish swindler, he wants to use me from behind and shit on my head"). But, alas, you be the judge:

Incidentally, what the hell dance move did Igor "I thought the currencies were dancing" Maltsev have in mind? I wonder if he should be my new hero.