Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Going Dutch

Had an all-Dutch, all-the-time long, holiday weekend. I went from wandering around Eindhoven on a surprisingly chilly Saturday, in search for the Van Abbemuseum, to ambling around Maastricht on Monday with thunder clouds looming o'erhead.

I've mentioned it before, but if you're in the region, or plan on touring the region, you really should check out the Van Abbemuseum. It is, without hesitation, one of the best new modern art museums I've visited in quite some time. (Its collection may not compare to, say, the Tate Modern, but its a much more comfortable experience). Not only are there are some fabulous exhibition spaces that most artists, I imagine, would simply drool over (especially its unique tower), the museum boasts one of the finest collections of Russian constructivism in the world (especially that of El Lissitzky). You European readers out there, take notice -- there is finally a reason to visit Eindhoven.

While I'm on the topic of modern art, today's Times has a nice article about about a new Marc Chagall retrospective in Paris. I've long had a soft spot for Chagall, even if I didn't really know why -- nice to see him getting his due.