Thursday, September 18, 2008

"My problem child"

I caught the History Channel's excellent documentary From Peyote to LSD when it first aired back in April, and have since then, from time to time, thought that I should look and see if it is streaming online anywhere. As luck would have it, it is.

Normally, I'm the first to laugh at the idea of middle-aged white guys embracing shamanism. I worked for one of these guys last year. The mental image of him shirtless, with no doubt expensive paints adorning his pot-belly (with the all the significance squiggly lines can convey), is burned into me in such a way that I can only describe it as horrific. Be that as it may, the peyote cult is still really fascinating. If you agree, or if you want your disbelief challenged, this documentary is a brilliant way to spend 90 minutes of your life.