Friday, July 09, 2004

Hear Me, All Ye Cheap Bastards

Interested in seeing Fahrenheit 9/11, but you're too poor (or impatient to wade through the throng of popcorn-eating masses)? Well, my children, you simply download it!! This internet thing, I tell you, it's the wave of the future. Now, granted, I just started my BitTorrent download, and boy is it a big mother! But, what else does a PhD student have to do with his day, eh?

Much like visiting most of America's tourist destinations, I feel like I've already 'been there, done that' with this movie; and yet, much like I still visit many of America's tourist destinations, in spite of the accompany insipid banality everything about the visit itself, I felt as though I ought to see this movie. I read something the other day saying Fahrenheit 9/11 was necessary, not because it was a good movie (who expects to see an honest-to-God good movie that doesn't involve Spider-Man?), but because 'it makes people think'. Eh ... I'm not so sure. 'Thinking' is not really America's strongest suit, is it? -- well, outside those Nobel Prize winning community, and all those advertising people who do our thinking for us. Anyway, this is why I don't really care if Michael Moore is a loud-mouth truth-bender. We've been held sway by one for nearly four years now, so I think we can survive a two-hour movie by one bending truth in a different direction. So, my hope, oh song of my cynical heart!, is not that Americans begin to 'think' -- that's like hoping we'll be able to stare at the eclipsing sun without going seeing spots -- but simply to do what we do best. Namely, get really pissed off (not by a rational argument, but by sheer, visceral revulsion), revolt, and THEN sink back into the hazy-eyed, haggard ennui that'll let all those people who do our thinking for us (the Nobel-winning think-tanks and myriad marketers) to come up with a new way to piss us off (and thus start the process all over again).

Or something like that.