Sunday, June 13, 2004

A Call To Prayer

Prayer? Ehhhh? The hell you say!

Well, before you run for the hills, hear me -- or, in this case, Neal Pollack -- out:

I'm certain I speak for many people of faith who feel strongly about the president when I say that I'm deeply offended that religious belief and the awesome power of prayer have been hijacked for no higher end than the furtherance of one man's political career, particularly when that career is buttressed by a base of support whose political agenda is closer to the Taliban than to the Founding Fathers. Despite what George W. Bush might think, God does not want him to be president. God does not speak to him directly. At least my God doesn't.

Before Bush came to office, I was essentially an atheist who liked Passover food. But the past three years have changed all that. I, like many of you, pray every day for the moment that George W. Bush is no longer president. So it's time to call to prayer all people of faith who agree with this principle, who don't like seeing their precious faith used for strange and bloody military ends. I implore Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, Protestants, Catholics, and even evangelical Christians to pray for a new president. Why should George W. Bush supporters hold a monopoly on prayer?

Fair enough, I guess.